Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Haiti journey...

I cannot believe that a year ago around this time I was getting ready to go on a trip to love on some children in a different country.  Well, that is what I thought I would be doing.  My journey with the people of Haiti did not start a year ago.  God had been preparing me for what I have experienced this year long before I even knew what being a believer was all about.  I remember the summer of my eighth grade year at church camp.  I watched this video about these orphaned children all around the world that were starving, helpless, and needy.  To say that those children touched my heart would be an understatement.  I knew God was calling ME to help them.  Little did I know that I had a long journey of preparation ahead of me.  When Bean told us my senior year that our church would be taking a trip to Haiti, I told him to sign me up.  I didn't even think twice.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  After loosing my passport on the plane and spending the night in Miami, I realized I was no longer in control.  My first trip to Haiti was an eye-opening experience, but I knew that my time was not over there.  God began to show me that although those children need my love and attention, they desperately need to know about Him.  Not only do they need to know what it means to be a believer of Jesus Christ, but they also need to be taught how to be a generation that shares the gospel in their country.  Before I get fired up, I will finish the rest of my journey. Ha! While I was in Haiti talking with my friends, I decided that I would figure out a way to come back...soon.  I called Bean and told him how amazing it was and all the things God was doing in my life.  He told me of the possibility that we would be going back to Haiti in November.  This past trip to Haiti was much different from the one before.  Although I was glad to be back, I held this resentment in my heart.  I couldn't stand coming into the lives of those small children and leaving after a few short days.  I could see the desperation in their eyes for us to stay with them.  I knew how lonely they would be without someone to hold them.  I grew angry and bitter at the fact that I was coming into their lives and taking it all away, but God showed me that we were doing much more than just showing them affection and attention.  God has called us to be disciple makers.  God has made us for the sole purpose of glorifying Him.  Even though I knew I was being a light, I knew in my heart that God was calling me to teach those 100+ children to reach the nations.  Once I realized that with His power, I could actually do what He was calling me to do, I asked Bean once again if there was any way we could come back for the summer.  Of course he said yes, and that is where the planning began.  The purpose of this summer is not to give those kids a lot of presents or play with them until they fall asleep in my arms.  The entire purpose is to teach those children how to have a radical faith in their God and teach them how to bring glory to His kingdom. So here we are, four days away from our journey, praying for God to prepare us for what lies ahead.  We simply ask you to do the same!

2 comments: