Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hope and Faith

   Sorry about the lack of posts. We finally have Internet back at the guest house.  I guess I will update you guys on the most recent things that have been happening here. Two days ago was probably one of the most frustrating days I have experienced....ever.  The older girls were so disrespectful, rude, and all around disobedient.  The only explanation I can think of is due to the lack of discipline they have received.  We were constantly telling them to behave and finally told them we would not come back if they did not show us respect.  After a long day of frustration, the girls and I decided we would not be returning to the orphanage the following day.  The boys went to work on the water situation and explained to the children that we were not coming because we asked for respect and received the opposite.  The workers went to the boys and told them to bring us back the next day, and they would take care of the girls behavior problems.  After a day of prayer and spankings, we were headed on our long walk towards the orphanage not knowing what would be in store for us when we arrived.  We were greeted with smiling children, excited workers, a clean house, and unfamiliar faces.
   I watched as all the children came running out of the house with noodles all over their faces from the breakfast they had quickly devoured.  After Lodiana tackled me down with excitement, I saw two small, milk chocolate twin girls hiding behind Loveyou.  I quickly walked up to them expecting two eager little girls, but what I found was very different.  These reserved girls immediatley started to cry as we tried to play with them and find out their names.  When we asked the workers who they were, they shrugged their shoulders and told us their father just dropped them off and left.  No one knew their name or age.  After giving them candy to bribe them to come to me, they fell asleep in my arms.  I held those precious girls and tried to fathom the emotions they were dealing with as a strange white girl held them longer than they have probably ever been held before.  Without knowing their names or anything about them, I already loved them.
   Haley and I quickly pumped water into a white container and brought the girls into the bathroom.  As we poured the water on their dry skin, the girls stood completely emotionless.  After five minutes of singing "splish splash" while bathing the girls, Haley and I finally gave up on trying to make them feel more comfortable.  I went back to pump more water in the bucket, and I came back to see Haley laughing with one of the girls.  While one girl was peeing on herself, the other had fallen in the bathtub.  Everyone was laughing, and I was upset because I thought I missed so much.  We brought the girls outside and tried to get them to smile.  After many failed attempts of trying to figure out their names, Haley and I decided to name them Hope and Faith.  Faith is a smiling ball of joy that is already jealous if you show any attention to anyone other than her.  Hope is reserved, but smarter than any little girl I have ever met.  She knows what she wants, and she knows how to get it from you.  Both children stole my heart the first time I saw them crying and running from me.
   These girls gave me a new energy and purpose.  The pastor came to me at the end of the day, and he said, "since you love these girls, you can take them with you."  At first, I was completely disturbed.  He told me that their father left them at the orphanage to stay until they decided they could take care of themselves.  The sad truth is that most of these children have the same testimony.  Their parents drop them off with nothing but the clothes they have on and with no intentions of coming back.  As I cried with Hope in my arms, I made a decision then that I would allow myself to love these children as unconditionally as I possibly could. My prayer is that God gives me the peace, strenghth, and power to fufill what He has continually called me to do...love!

No comments:

Post a Comment